Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Bird Walk

On Sunday I did a bird walk at Lake Erie Metropark. I took my new binoculars but not my camera...so, no pictures. What a shame too because I would have had some great shots.
The walk was led by two park rangers both with a great sense of humor. I really enjoyed myself with a group of 8 other cordial birders.
I saw so many birds that I never would have seen if on my own. We saw a Cooper's Hawk sitting on her nest (I always think of hawks as males for some reason). There were 3 sweet owlets. Also seen were a pair of Rose-breasted Grosbecks, redstarts, tree swallows, a trush, beautiful Baltimore Orieles plus herons, a cormorant and wood ducks.
Over a two hour walk on the park's nature trail on a beautiful May morning.........
Last evening I took a walk along the Ecorse river at Council Park. There were too many people hanging out ...kids whizzing around on bikes, skaters, runners, walkers and lots of teens just hanging out. I have a hard time getting past the litter in the park and along the banks of the river. But it is so close to my house (which is appreciated due to the gas prices) and everytime I go I see a great bird (this is where I saw the Pileated Woodpecker). Yesterday I saw a Yellow Warbler...so small and well, yellow. Loving my new binoculars!

No comments:

Post a Comment