Saturday, June 11, 2011

My Garden





My garden is not what it used to be. I have really down-sized due to my limited physical stamina in caring for it all. Also the river birch that I planted changed the footprint of my garden totally. Too much shade, too many competing roots and my once sunny garden is gone. Removing my pond and the surrounding evergreens (which were diseased) also was a drastic change. Last year we tore down my lattice structure next to the garage because it was rotted. So in 15 years much has changed in my back yard with more changes to come. At the back of my property, my neighbor had a hedge which gave a beautiful green backdrop for my flowers. This week they have torn out the hedge and will have a fence put up. I was sad to see the hedge go but I will admit that the trimming will not be missed.

Still, my garden is a little haven for me. This year, the roses are absolutely beautiful. I have two climbers that are loaded with beautifully scented pink roses. I am so joyfull watching my little goldfinches that come this time of year to eat the seeds from my birch. I wish I could have more of a variety of songbirds but the sparrows and starlings keep the others away. I occasionally see a downy woodpecker of a little chickadee but that is rare. The flicker that comes every spring to rat-a-tat-tat on my metal chimney cover, did not show up this year.

I do appreciate what I do have in the back yard but I must say, I really love my front porch...more on that at another time.










No comments:

Post a Comment