Friday, July 29, 2011

Crosswinds Marsh

A quite place to rest and reflect (only if the bugs will allow it)
Woodland path



The marsh



Two barn swallows on a fence




Mute Swan and chicks



Crosswinds pavilion




Blue Vervain




I spent a lovely few hours out at Crosswinds Marsh the other morning. Here is the story of the marsh as I understand it. When they built a new runway at metro airport they were required to replace wetland that they used in the building of the runway. It was all farmland and was flooded(I believe there are at least three drains that provide the water) and planted and they waited and the wildlife came. This acreage is located in Huron Township off of Oakville Waltz Rd. next to the biggest mountain of trash that I have ever seen. This is the mount built out of Canadian garbage. It is so flat in that area that the height of the mountain really boggled my mind. Canada keep your trash at home!

None-the-less, when you are in the marsh area you can't see (nor did I smell) the trash mountain. The marsh is beautiful with anywhere from a small trail (.3mi.) to long 4+ mile trails. There are areas of marsh, meadow and woodland dotted with benches and picnic tables.

The frogs were in fine tune and there was a huge swallow population. I saw at least 6 Great Blue Herons, Mute Swans and chased around a Baltimore Oriole that I heard but never did see.
I enjoyed the marsh very much and look forward to going back. Fall will be beautiful there.













1 comment: