Tuesday, September 13, 2011

September Afternoon at Kensington Metropark




Sandhill Crane



Cabbage White on ragweed



Milkweed Pod



Red Admiral on Buddleia flower



Cardinal






Chipmunk posing for my camera



Black-Capped chickadee



Autumn Aster



Monarch




After seven days and seven nights of rain and gloom, we finally had a beautiful day on Monday. I wanted to go out to Kensington to walk the 2 mile Wildwing trail but when I got there I just didn't feel up to it. Instead, I went on my favorite walk starting on Wildwing and cutting through to the Aspen trail and then on to the nature center.


All of the above pictures I took on Monday. It shows how much there is to see....a lot move than the pictures that I posted. I loved the sun, the smells and the slant of the September light. Didn't see any deer that day. The monarch butterflies were out in little flocks (do butterflies flock?) and it was a treat to see the red admiral. I took several photos of that cardinal. He seemed to be molting and not looking his best.


Tomorrow is what I call my butterfly day. Last year, on that date, I found 6 different varieties of butterflies at Lake Erie Metropark. So, I hope to repeat that experience tomorrow. Wish me luck!





















2 comments:

  1. Very nice!!! And how did the butterfly walk go? I was thinking of heading out there myself today, when I realized I had forgotten to charge my camera battery. Big BOO!!!! Hope your walk was successful!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was in unexpected places. The monarchs were flying all over the place but I was looking for something different and was disappointed not to find anything in my usual places. So, I decided just to go for a walk on the wooded trail and found an orange Sulphur and a comma (got a pic but not a good one). The trail was a mess with tire gouges and mud and than other places were layed with wood chips but not raked out...all bumpy. If that kid waants to earn his eagle scout badge he better get busy. :-).
    See you on Sunday for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete