Thursday, November 3, 2011

Overland Park Arboretum and Botanical Gardens

and nature trails too!
I always find somewhere to walk no matter where I am. About 2 years ago, I was here at the Arboretum in the summer. The flowers and plantings were so beautiful and I took many lovely photos. Of course, now, everything has died off. The autumn color is beautiful. The terrain is pretty rugged and it's uphill and down...mostly up, it seemed.
There is a bird blind which I have never seen before in a park. Will post pictures tomorrow.














This is the fruit of a Osage Orange tree. It is a tree of the prairie and named after the Osage tribe. The fruit, when warmed by the sun on an autumn day, smells like orange peel. The seeds inside are edible They are huge...about the size of a softball or bigger. Wow, amazing what you can glean from the Internet.














These leaves seemed to be soaking up the last of the summer sun.








Enjoying my stay in Overland Park. The kids have been perfect little angels so far and I am managing to find my way around on my own. Thank God for GPS!



Will visit the gardens again tomorrow as the sun will be shining.














































































1 comment:

  1. Looks like an osage orange in second pic, Carol. Google Osage Orange fruit. I grew up with these things. LOL

    ReplyDelete