Tuesday, February 28, 2012

American Bald Eagle








I have really been sitting around this winter and have totally gotten out of shape. So, I went on a mile + walk on both Sunday and Monday. Boy, I was huffing and puffing and looking for the next park bench. Both days were cold of course but bright and sunny. Sunday I walked The Cherry Island Trail along the lake and Monday the woodlot trail at Lake Erie Metropark. Sunday I was more successful and saw my first red-winged blackbird of the season....they are the harbingers of spring. Of course the usual cardinals and chickadees were about. Off in the distance on the lagoon I saw about 8 Great Blue Herons. One was sitting on a log in the middle of the river, one was sitting in a tree and there were more on logs near the bank and also a few were flying overhead. I just had a feeling that they had recently returned from their winter home. The trail was so muddy and even under water in places. Luckily I had on boots so off I went. Great walk.


On the way home on Monday, I had just turned from Jefferson on to Middle Gibraltar Road when I spotted a bald eagle in a tree on the side of the road. He sat there looking at me as I got my camera out of the trunk and then he posed so nicely for a picture. Other cars began to stop as well, and he was still there when I left. He was banded so maybe he is used to people. It is unusual to see them so close....a thrill for me.



Added addendum, Saturday, March 3rd. The Woodhaven police brought in a bald eagle to the nature center. The eagle had been hit by a car. They were trying to find a raptor rescue which I believe, Gerry was helping them with. I so fear that it was my eagle because Woodhaven isn't far from where I saw him...as the eagle flies. Hope to hear news that he is OK and can be released.







No comments:

Post a Comment