Saturday, April 28, 2012

Finches

Yesterday, a flock (charm) of American Goldfinches arrived in my back yard. Previously, I had one early scout come once or twice, checking out my seed sock but now they have descended on my River Birch to eat the seeds and also eat from my sock that is filled with Niger thistle seed. I didn't get any photos yet this year but will get out there soon (when the sun comes out).
I love these small, colorful birds with their bright yellow feathers and their undulating flight pattern. They are like flowers in my garden.
Meanwhile, I did capture a photo of a House Finch at the sock. He struck me as comical, like he knew that I was watching him. When I first moved here, 16 years ago, there were flocks of House Finches (a flock of House Finches is called a Development). Now, I am lucky to see one or two. They were struck down with a virus that causes blindness....I hope that they are making a comeback.
Scheduled for a photo shoot today...doing the "barn tour". I have been looking forward to it all week and have gone so far as to buy a new frame and matte for a great barn photo. Now, rain is predicted and as any camera person knows, you don't take your camera out in the rain. It is dark and gloomy and I have been checking the radar and my email. The shoot is at 3pm so we will see what happens. Of course as the weather would have it....tomorrow is going to be beautiful and sunny. Hope to go on a group walk at Lake Erie Metropark in the afternoon. A "Woodlot Wander"
In the meantime I got a picture from my son Mike who was getting ready for a bike ride with the GTG (good time gang) in Kansas. The picture showed his beautiful bike next to his truck. His comment was "This is the best morning that I have ever had for a ride" See photo of Mike's bike team in the above posting from last year's MS ride.




Are you lookin' at me?








1 comment:

  1. Love all the finches. Last summer I had only seen a couple house finches. So nice they are sock hopping in your yard. LOL

    ReplyDelete