Friday, April 13, 2012

My Spring Garden or Everything's Coming Up Tulips
















Today I saw my first American Goldfinch in my back yard drinking at my kettle fountain. He didn't go to the new finch feeder though. I'm wondering, now, if the seed is old or wet. They always come for the seed from my birch tree but last year stayed around all summer because I fed them. I had such trouble with the squirrel knocking down the seed sock so this year I bought a new caged feeder and so far it has been left alone even by the sparrows.
I love looking out to the back yard and seeing the small yellow and black birds flitting around.


Also saw a House Finch a few days ago at the birdbath. Keeping my eyes open for him to return.


Even though I didn't plant any tulips last year, I still have a nice display. This fall I plan on ordering from "Dutch Bulbs" and will mark the areas now where they will go.
About three years ago, when I decided to downsize my garden, I planted the lovely pink tulips behind the birdbath and then filled in the whole area with vinca (Periwinkle). The bed has finally filled all in and the periwinkle blue flowers are in bloom. Looks so pretty and there is no nicer shade of blue as periwinkle. Note the blue flowers at the bottom of the last photo.








No comments:

Post a Comment