Sunday, May 20, 2012

Pointe Pelee

Had a great day in Canada at Point Pelee National Park. My first birding event and was pleased to see many people with silly hats like mine. I loved the beautiful trail that we took and of course couldn't resist chasing butterflies and taking photos of wildflowers.


Rita, Ulanawa and I on out way to the point. A tram took us from the visitors center to this area and we walked the rest of the way. Birds everywhere. Never saw so many Baltimore Orioles in one place. This is where I took the swallow pictures.



Many signs warning people not to do what these folks are doing. There have been many drownings in these dangerous waters, yet, here are parents putting their children in harms way. It looks like they are walking on water, doesn't it? Could not see land at all from here but I know that Sandusky is across the lake. Hoped to see the roller coasters at Cedar Point ;-)



Ulanawa posing under sign that other people choose to ignore.


"As I was saying, she doesn't seem to be holding her camera steady. How long does she expect us to hold this pose"?



Justin, our birding guide. Very knowledgeable and a nice guy.




The best bird picture that I took all day. A Swainson Thrush. I need more classes, a better lens, new glasses, a tripod and a more positive attitude. Well, by that time the bird will have flown off. We saw so many birds and the best of the day was getting a great look at a Scarlet Tananger...which was on my wish list. What a beauty! Of, course we saw all the usual suspects like the robin and downy and so on. Here are some of the other birds that we saw, some that are now on my life list. Wild Turkey, Baltimore Oriole, Eastern Peewee, Cedar Waxwing, Orchard Oriole,American Redstart, Brown Headed Cowbird, Screech Owl, Chestnut Sided Warbler and a Great Crested Fly Catcher.



I am at a birding event and this is the best photo of the day. It is maybe a comma or a question mark butterfly...I think. Note all the apids on the leaves.




No comments:

Post a Comment