Thursday, May 3, 2012

A Walk in the Park

85 degrees is too warm for May 3 but at 8 am this morning the weather was just perfect. As soon as I pulled into the drive leading to Kensington Metropark, I stuck my nose out the window and was hit by the best smells...of fresh washed earth and, I think, apples blossoms.
My walk was absolutely one of the best that I have ever had and even my ankle held up pretty well. I used my walking pole and I think that helps.
As soon as I stepped onto the trail a male Downy Woodpecker started dive bombing me, looking for a handout. In fact, he followed me for quite some time.
Wildflowers were in bloom everywhere and I had both cameras snapping. I have so many flower photos to post but first I will try to identify them.
The birds were out in force and their singing was wonderful. The songbirds that I saw (unfortunetly I wasn't able to get everyone's photo) were the Tree Swallows,  two Baltimore Orieles, Chickadees, Downys, Tufted Titmice, Bluebird (one), Yellow Warbler (one), Red-Bellied Woodpecker and what looked like a Brown Headed Cowbird. I also saw one male wild turkey and two pairs of Sandhill Cranes with chicks. I didn't walk over to the lake but as I drove by, I saw that the Great Blues were still in the rookery and an Egret as well. . Also got some Mute Swan photos. As I was getting ready to leave, a gentleman pointed out two turtles in the pond near the Nature Center. Also out in full force were other photographers....oh, to have along lens of my own.
I got so many photos and will be posting a lot of them, For now, here is a study of a pair of Tree Swallows that are nesting in a Bluebird nesting box.
Happy walking from me, Sun Walker. (today, anyway)







Just a little add- on of information...the top 4 photos were taken with my Canon Powershot, the last three were taken with my Canon T1I SLR.....these were taken in manual mode.

1 comment:

  1. Just lovely!! I took pics of the tree swallows living in our houses today too. They are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete