Sunday, May 26, 2013

Decoration Day


Recently I came across an old picture of my parents taken in a park. Below my Dad had written "Decoration Day 1940".  My thought was "Yes, I remember when Memorial Day was called Decoration Day".  So, I decided to get the back story and "googled it".
 After the Civil War ended, Decoration Day was established as a day to decorated the graves of the war dead with flowers. It gradually changed to Memorial day and was established as an official holiday in 1967 as a day to honor those who died in the service of our country.
The photo above is our city's way of honoring those who died for our country who were from the area. Each flag had a tag with the name and other information about that individual who gave their lives for us. I looked at some of the tags and saw a lot of Vietnam veterans....my generation. By the way, we had a Memorial Day parade...the first in over 5 years. Due to budgetary issues, we were unable to afford a parade and a service was done instead. I understand that fund raising was done to support this year's parade.

Wishing everyone a happy holiday weekend! Remember those who gave their lives in the service of our country.
PS: Look closely at the photo and you can see the wheel of our "gun".....from WWII, I believe.



No comments:

Post a Comment