Friday, May 3, 2013

Haunted Charleston


 When I arrived home from South Carolina, I couldn't wait to start my new, just arrived book by Laura Childs " Sweet Tea Revenge" This is one of my favorite series about a tea shop owner in Charleston that solves mysteries. She mentioned in the book that the Unitarian Churchyard is supposedly haunted. I remembered that was the cemetery that we wandered through. No sign of any ghosts but it was a bit eerie of a place...mainly because it was so overgrown. Well, the story goes that the churchyard is haunted by Annabell Lee the same Annabell Lee from the poem by Edgar Allen Poe. Poe lived on Sullivan's Island and the Charleston area for about a year. The poem was written in 1849.
http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/174151
There are reportedly many haunted areas in the city and there are haunted tours that you can take. A lot of haunted places but not as many as Savannah, Ga. that claims to be the most haunted city in the US.






 I mentioned in a previous post that we had lunch at a converted house called Poogan's Porch. This house is reportedly haunted by the dog that the restaurant was name after. Customers that sit out on the porch or patio report feeling something brush by their leg.
Also, neighbors across the street have seen a woman in the upstairs window at night when the restaurant is closed. I didn't feel any spirits in this house but that may be because I am a skeptic to begin with  :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment