Thursday, March 13, 2014

My 1930s House at The Henry Ford

 My house was built in 1931....a Sears kit house. When I bought the house I decided that I would make it like my Grandparents home. I did dark hardwood floors, changed out all the switches to push button and tried to make it as traditional as possible. Today, I was at The Henry Ford Museum and came across this kitchen exhibit. I wish that my kitchen looked like this! Not that user friendly in the 21st century but I love it. I remember my Grandmother having a stove like this one and she did some great cooking and baking. Her counter space was limited but she worked on the kitchen table making fabulous bread and pastry.. The iron and the sprinkle bottle I remember well. My Mom washed clothes on Monday and hung them out to dry (or in the basement in bad weather). That evening she would "sprinkle" all the closes and wrap them in towels. Since there were no steam irons and all fabrics had to be ironed, this was the best way to get perfectly ironed clothes. No wonder women didn't work outside the home in those days....two whole days to just do the laundry. Notice the push button switch in the last photo.




No comments:

Post a Comment