Sunday, March 2, 2014

The Guardian Building

The Guardian Building


The Guardian Building is located in the financial district  in downtown Detroit. It was built in 1929 by The Union Trust Bank and has had many different owners since. It is a National Historic Landmark Building.
Recently the building has undergone extensive renovations and is now open to the public....previously it was only open to people who worked in the building.




Carpet (turned sideways by me)


 The Guardian building is of Art Deco/ Aztec design. It reminded me so much of the old Vanity Ballroom which is still standing but in very bad disrepair.


Even the elevators are beautiful!


These are the steps leading up to the main banking lobby which has a 3 story vaulted ceiling.
At the end of that room is a mosaic of the state of Michigan with the Guardian in the middle...more pictures to come.



 Although the outside of the building is done in brick the inside has rare marble and granite and is decorated with mosaic, Pewebic and Rookwood tile.  Tile from the 1920s..... Pewabic Pottery is still in business and gives tours which I would love to go on.....next on my long list of "to dos".






It must have been pure pleasure doing your banking in the 1920s in such a beautiful building. I was so impressed by how nicely the building has been restored and kept up. There were really nice shops on either side of the main room which originally must have been the teller cages. I understand that Wayne County now owns the building and has offices there.


I was so fascinated by these light that were hung near the elevators. I must have taken a dozen pictures.....I love the design and think that they are replicas of the originals.

Link:

No comments:

Post a Comment