Saturday, May 10, 2014

My Poor Garden


I do have some beautiful spring flowers like this bleeding heart and some lovely tulips but my garden really suffered after our desperately cold winter. Two of my climbing roses look dead. I have had them for years and one of them is suppose to withstand -40 degree temperatures. The hybrid teas look peaky but at least have new growth. There was an article in yesterday's paper about this winter's effect on roses and she encouraged waiting in hopes that they will sprout new growth. So, I pruned all my roses back today and will wait and see.
My grass is another story...it looks pitiful...especially the front. I fertilized my lawn in hopes that it would be revitalized and there are spots here and there that are green but in all... bad news. It seems all my neighbor's lawns are green and healthy and the bumper crop of dandelions this spring seem to be unaffected by the winter.
Thank you to Mike and Amy who sent me Bordine's gift cards for Mother's day. Can't wait to spend them at my favorite garden center. Thanks in advance to Tim who is coming tomorrow to help with whatever I need done. We will go out to breakfast and then hit my "to do" list.
I think Spring is finally here as I shut off my furnace 2 days ago and put in all my screens. I will be late setting up my porch this year because I have to paint the porch floors front and back.
A very Happy Mother's Day to all the mother out there in blogger land!

No comments:

Post a Comment