Saturday, May 10, 2014

Welcome Home Birds

Trappers Run Trail, Lake Erie Metropark
Three years ago I went on, what I call, the Mother's Day Bird Walk and I got hooked on birding. This is the best time to see migratory birds and the best season because the trees are not leafed out yet.
It was unfortunate that only 2 of us showed up for the walk because the birds were out in full force this  beautiful spring morning. All the "real" birders are in Ohio for the biggest week so there is no competing with that....none the less we had a great walk.
Here are some of the birds that we saw.....beside some of  the regulars (Northern Cardinals, Jays and Robins) 
1. Warblers: Yellow-throated, Black and white, Yellow, Black-throated Green, Magnolia, Northern Parula (heard) and American Red Start
2. Tree Swallows, Black-capped Chickadee, Baltimore Orioles, Red-breasted Grosbeak, Pheobe, Cat bird, Downy Woodpeckers, And a Northern Flicker feather.
3. Also a Osprey in a tree with a fish under it's talons
Thank you to Lake Erie Metropark's interpreter, Paul, who is the best birder that I know.


 Rose-breasted Grosbeak
This is my best shot ....again I must complain about the lack of a good lens. Everything was too far off  :-(
 Here is the Osprey
 Carolina Wren...hey, I'm not in Carolina anymore...surprised to see that this little one followed me home.
 Of course when you are on the trail you see other things besides birds...here is a toad that I almost stepped on. He really blends into the surroundings.
As usual ..... one of the parks "tame" deer waiting to see if we have any food. Looks pretty good after the winter that we had


No comments:

Post a Comment