Friday, June 20, 2014

My Sears Built House ..the front porch.


I love, love, love my front porch. It makes me so sad in the fall when everything gets put away for the winter. I love sitting out in the summer and watching my little world go by. About 10 years ago, my neighbor, Clara, gave me her old glider when she moved (she has since passed away). I try to make the porch homey and keep it clean so that it is like another room of my house. I love taking afternoon naps on that glider! I read, listen to the ballgame, knit and crochet and just enjoy being outside. No outdoor patio or deck can compare.
I often think that our world is so stressful and filled with strife and conflict and that living back in those days would be a simpler life....but would it? The great depression and WW1 were just on the horizon. Not something that I would want to live through....plus I would have to give up my smart phone ;-)


My grandparents in Hubbard, Ohio had a great front porch....wish I had a photograph although it is all a very clear picture in my mind's eye. The porch floor was wood and always painted gray. They had a wonderful glider and a few of those old metal chairs that had been repainted so many times I can't remember what color they were. The house sat close to the sidewalk and neighbors always stopped to chat. My Grandmother would sit out on the porch with her usual summer project...making oval rag rugs. I always loved to pick out in the rug one of my Mom's or my old dresses. Everything in those days got re-purposed. That porch, in the summer, was the epicenter of the house. I would spend many an afternoon sewing doll clothes or...imagine...playing my clarinet on the porch.


Check back next time when you will see the inside of my Sears Kit home.

No comments:

Post a Comment