Friday, November 21, 2014

Bittersweet



 I love the way Bittersweet lights up the woods in the fall. A park interpreter told me that the vine is very invasive and will cover a wood with it's growth...on the positive side the berries are bright and beautiful and are food for birds and small mammals. I didn't see that many at Lake Erie but I know that they are a problem at Oakwoods.
In my last post I mentioned the other invasive plant, Phragmites.You see them everywhere...along roadside ditches and marsh areas, even in cities. Lake Erie was loaded with them but the DNR sprayed and some areas need burning as well. Some native species and wildlife will be sacrificed but that is the only way to get rid of this intruder.....let's get rid of Mute Swans as well....another invasive and destructive species.
Hoping that this weather will take a warmer turn soon. This is way to early in the season to be trapped inside.


http://www.yankeemagazine.com/gardening-advice-ideas/bittersweet-vine-friend-or-foe

No comments:

Post a Comment