Saturday, March 21, 2015

Travels With Carol

I have always been an Anglophile and dreamed of visiting England one day. I thought that it was out of reach but then I had the opportunity to go on a tour in 1992. It was more affordable than I thought and everything was taken care of plus a friend was able to go with me. 
We stayed at a manor house converted into a hotel. It was in the town of Bosworth made famous by the Battle of Bosworth where King Richard III was killed in 1485. The town is in the midlands and we took day trips from there. It was so beautiful and when I sat in the village square, I had a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that I was so far from home and that I was finally in England.
So the point of my travel stories is to recall the best parts of each trip. You know, I saw many castles, cathedals, ruins, museums and other landmarks, but what I remember most when I look back, are small things that made an impression on me.
For example:  the first time a storekeeper called me "love" 
"What will you have Love"?
Tea in a tea shop in Haworth, Yourkshire where the Bronte sisters lived and grew up. The town was all steep hills and so picturesque. You'll find that a lot of my memories are around food. The tea was a three tiered dish of little sandwishes followed by the same dish filled with cakes and scones and pots of tea....just like in all the books I read!
Taking the train from Liechester to London and looking at miles of back gardens of houses along the railway. Sitting in St. James Park and then watching the parade to the palace was another treat.
We saw so many wonderful sights...so many memories but best of all was just strolling along our little town and looking at all the beautiful English cottage gardens, attending Sunday services at an Anglican church, looking at old grave stone (I mean old), drinking in the local pub....loved all of that just as much as London, Stonehenge, Stratford, Nottingham, York and so on.
Wonderful memories still!

 After watching changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace
St. James park.....loved it there.

All these photos were taken before the digital age so these pictures were scanned. Sorry about the quality.



No comments:

Post a Comment