Friday, March 27, 2015

Travels With Carol

Italy
with Susan
This 2 week tour with my friend Susan was a whirlwind tour starting in Rome, south to Naples, Capri and Serrento and then north to Genoa, Florence, Milan, Pisa, a short hop to Switzerland, then Stresa,  Venice, Assisi , and I'm sure that I missed some but wow what a trip! We saw many basilicas and museums but the best of Italy was the food and the people ....best of all the light! The sun! I will always remember it. I came back from that trip inspired.
We had so many laughs and good times...taking the water taxi in Venice to dinner then singing and dancing through St Mark's, drinking a fancy ice tea on the waterfront in Capri, buying Lemoncello in Serrento,  staying in the convent/hotel in Assisi, buying my Cuckoo clock in Switzerland, a rain storm in Florence, the wonderful dinner in the hills above Florence....course after course, the total wonderment of Pompeii, Looking for sea glass in Lake Maggiore and so much more.
My heart is full when I think of Italy and I was so lucky to go again several years later.
 This is beautiful Lake Maggiore a lake on the south side of the Alps. It was so beautiful there and this was our view from the balcony of our hotel. All the balconys had flower boxes brimming with summer flowers.  There was an island (the name escapes me) that we toured with a castle and wonderful gardens. One afternoon we walked into the little town and had the best ever glass of sangria.
Our hotel was so luxurious....the lobby had the shiniest marble floors that I have ever seen...like glass.....of course, Italy is known for it's marble. I look pretty tan in this picture....all that Italian sun.



This is Milan...we were able to see the famous Galleria and also the beautiful and famous cathedral.

This trip was in 1997 but...oops, I skipped Paris that we visited in 1995.  Will post that next in my travel series. I was to go to Italy again (and Sicily) in 2000.







No comments:

Post a Comment