Friday, July 10, 2015

Pileated Woodpecker

I am so excited everyone! Finally got to see a Pileated Woodpecker this morning at Kensington. I didn't get a picture but have posted a stock drawing (see below).
I arrived at the park about 7:30 and was the only one in the parking lot when I heard a very loud
"cuk,cuk,cuk". I saw a black bird that was about the size if a crow and when he turned his head I saw the profile...long neck and crested head (you know, like Woody Woodpecker).
Later I saw a bluebird so it was my lucky day.

Feel so lucky to add this bird to my life list. Also today, I saw a little brown bird as yet to be identified, Cardinals, Blue Jays, Nuthatch, Chick-a-dee, Titmouse, and a pair of Baltimore Orioles.
I found that the earlier I get to the park the better ...for birds but for butterflies it is too early as they like the warmth and sun. I also had a begging squirrel and a Titmouse that came right up to me, hop, hop, hop begging for seeds.
Also, as a side note...it smelled so great out in the woods. I love nature!

No comments:

Post a Comment