Saturday, August 8, 2015

Red-headed Woodpecker

 You never know when your walk in the woods turns into a very joyous occasion.(for me anyway)  So many walks with the beauty of nature all around you and then out of the blue you see something that just makes your day. I guess the more you are out there the higher the odds are of this happening.
So, I was at Lower Huron Metropark near the fishing pier when I spotted this lovely Red-headed Woodpecker. Back in the 70s we used to live next to a wooded area with lots of dead trees and we had all different woodpeckers nesting there...invariably a Red-headed was included. Now, they are not very common so I was so thrilled to see this one.
What a beautiful bird...red head like velvet and the underwing with it white stripe is so catching.
I have been lucky this year with the Red-head that I haven't seen since the 70s. I found my old bird book (copy write of 1966) and I have circled Hairy, Downy, Yellow- Bellied Sapsucker, Red-headed and Yellow-Shafted Flicker. I was also fortunate this summer to see my first Pileated Woodpecker!







No comments:

Post a Comment