Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Mom's Sewing Book

 I got this sewing book from my Mom's library after she passed. I love looking through it and love the fashion from the 40's. The copyright on the book is 1943...I was one at that time. In the above photo are things that I have of my Mom's....her sewing box, old needles and buttons and an old picture that was in a locket.
 Someone would have to be a pretty good sewer to make these undies and nightclothes.
 My Mom did a bit of sewing and taught me how to sew as well. I remember all the trouble her Singer gave her...the closest that my Mom ever came to swearing.
Once, when I was about 14 or 15, she made me a dress out of dotted Swiss....white with small red dots.It was my Sunday dress.

 I love this...making two new dressed out of two old dresses....I wonder if clothes were rationed during the war.

I have a picture so similar to this of my Mom's bridge group. I think it was taken by a family friend, John Farcas, who was a professional photographer. I am going to have to try and find it. All the ladies are gone now....my second cousin who was in the bridge club, Nora Moga, just passed away last week....she was 96.






No comments:

Post a Comment