Thursday, May 24, 2012

Flower Day



























Years ago, Tim, Heather and I used to go to Eastern Market on Mother's Day weekend for "flower day". I would take my red wagon and we would shop all the stalls for our annuals and for unique flower as well as bargains. It was a yearly tradition there for awhile but when Emma was born taking her into that crush was not something we wanted to do. One year I totally lost my car...could not remember where I parked. Then another year we saw all these animal carcasses hanging out of dumpsters...well, that kind of turned us off of the whole flower day thing. Now, I make my my own "flower day" and drive up to Bordine's Nursery in Rochester Hills, about 34 miles and on the way back, I stop at Telly's in Troy. Initially, Gretta went with me but she is now past even buying flowers let alone planting. Except for a few pot she has given it up altogehter. Now, I just head up there by myself.


Gardening used to be my huge passion (now, replaced by photography ans birding). I loved being out in my garden every day, trying different plants, making new beds and just digging in the dirt. Now, I get into the planting position and cannot get up! It totally wears me out. So, I have really tried to make my garden easy peasey. A lot of ground cover and perennials, just a few herbs and tomatoes have made it easier for me. Plus, I pay someone to cut my grass (thanks to the Curtis family) .


I still love being out in my yard or on one of my porches and love watching the birds take a bath in fresh water that I provide every day (sometimes twice a day)


Going up to Bordines once a year is a real treat that I look forward to every year. And the people at Telley's know what they are about. I asked a young lady if they had any Ragweed (Solidago). She did and knew exactly what I wanted and went and got two for me. ( Try these! they get quite big...3 ft. and bloom in late August until frost when most everything else is past it's prime. They are a real show stopper)


Anyway, I have about 3 days worth of work ahead getting everything in the ground but won't it all look pretty when I am done?



2 comments:

  1. Your garden is already gorgeous, I can only imagine how much more with the added colors you picked out. Gonna be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ula....come and sit on my front posrch after I get it set up and all these awful seeds stop falling!

    ReplyDelete