Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Kolache


Kolache is a wonderful pastry confection which was popular in Central Europe and the recipe was brought over with the immigrants at the turn of the century. My Mother's mother was Slovak.....home of Kolache!  My Grandmother and my Mom were both great bakers and in fact, if time and circumstances were different, my Grandmother could have been a professional pastry chef.
A few weeks before Christmas and Easter the women began their holiday baking and Kolache was on top of the list. It is made with a sweet yeast dough, rolled out and spread with a filling. Than the whole thing is rolled into a log shape and baked. The filling could be nut, poppy seed,  apricot or prune. OMG...what a delicious treat.
I never inherited the baking talent but after by Grandmother passed and my Mom became unable to bake, I thought that I would give it a try. So, for a few years, at Christmas, I did make Kocache and it turned out pretty good. I had to give it up when I got diabetes  (no wonder, eating all this stuff)!
Now, I don't know anyone who makes these delicious rolls. It is a lost art. Modern medical advice has taken all the fun out of eating. :-(
The picture above tells the story of gathering everything to start a day of baking. I inherited my mothers pastry board ( shown in above picture). It is so smooth and still seems ready for a toss of flour and a ball of dough. Also in the photo are her Kolache pans...a real collectors item. They were well used and still seemed to have the scent of warm dough. Also in the photo is my Mom's wooden spoon (on board) and my fraternal Grandmother spoon (in the bowl). The vintage Pyrex bowls I have collected over the years.
I surely understand the fact of live your life then die but I don't understand why cultures and traditions have to die as well.
Any idea where I could buy some homemade Kolache?


Stock photo



No comments:

Post a Comment