Thursday, June 19, 2014

...in the old days




  Lincoln Park became a village in 1921 and than a city in 1925 and 6 years later my house was built. Pagel Ave. was a dirt road and there was only one other house on the street beside mine. My imagination invisions my house with a dirt or gravel driveway or one of those drives with 2 stripes and grass down the middle. No garage of course and I wonder if they even had a car. Very little traffic on my street...maybe a horse and wagon and a car like the ones pictured above.
After the war all those returning military needed housing so subdivisions were built around my little house....1950, I believe. My beautiful walk-out bay window in my dining room that once overlooked an apple orchard, now looks out at my neighbors driveway and side door. My house is hemmed in.



So I can't help wondering what it looked like sitting on the front porch and looking up and down the dirt street. Did they have parties, did they mow their grass with a push mower, did they have a glider on their front porch with canvas awnings around the porch?  I wish that I could contact the descendants of the original owners.. I do know that the lady of the house donated a glass dish to the Lincoln Park Historic Museum......I will start my investigation there.

thank you Lincoln Park for the pictures that I borrowed from your website.

No comments:

Post a Comment