Sunday, January 17, 2016

A Garden That Was

When I bought my house 20 years ago. I wanted a back yard where I could garden. My garden has had many transformations over that time and I'm afraid most of this does not exist any more. Gardening was my passion and every morning, I would jump out of bed and with a cup of coffee and a cigarette I would start on a project in my back yard. I loved Spring and Summer. As the years have gone by, I have gradually downsized because I am no longer up for the job. My garden is a shadow of it's former self. But, I have plenty of photos of all my beautiful flowers (started from seeds or cuttings) and I am going to dig (ha...a garden referance) around for more pictures when I have a chance.
This structure was built by my son and I really enjoyed sitting out there........eventually it all rotted and was pulled down.
This was a little shed greenhouse that my brother and myself built. I used it as a greenhouse for about 10 years and had lots of fun with it but it took so much tending that I finally gave it up and made it into a little sitting room. That is gone also and now I use it mostly for storage and to overwinter my hostas.
Still have the Kettle fountain and the salvia, hostas and clematis. Caught this lovely American Goldfinch stopping by for a drink.
My birdbath is very popular in my neighborhood. There is a neighborhood black cat that has knocked off the top of my birdbath and it has been replaced several times. I love to sit on my back porch and watch who comes by for a drink or a bath. The Robins particularly love it.
American Robin


No comments:

Post a Comment