Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Historic Barns Quest Complete

 The first barn on the Historic Barn Tour is this cobblestone constructed barn rarely seen in Washtenaw County. It was built in 1853, is a rectangular form with a front gable roof. The walls are hand split boulders and are 16 inches deep. Quoins (external angle of a wall) and doors and window lintels are composed of brick. It looks like this is no longer a working farm and certainly the barn is not in current use. I think the walls of this sturdy barn will stand for a very long time.
 Over the last few years I have visited and photographed all the barns on the Washtenaw County Historic Barn Tour with only this barn left out. I had a heck of a time finding it despite an address and a map. My GPS did not recognize the address and as you know country roads zig and zag all over the place. With some detective work I was able to locate the barn and it was well worth seeing. Of course, there was so much beautiful farm scenes along the way and I enjoyed myself very much. The Washtenaw County Historic Barn Tour has a website with descriptions, pictures and maps included. I know some of these barns are deteriorating and one has totally collapsed. They don't build barns like this anymore.






No comments:

Post a Comment