Saturday, January 11, 2014

Raptor Encounters

When my daughter-in-law and I did our photo trip or as I like to call it "drive by shooting" we encountered several raptors. I did not take my binoculars to Kansas and a lesson was learned. Anyway, we seemed to be seeing hawks everywhere.

 We immediately said "wow those are big birds" but they were so far away it was hard to identify them. Because of their size I thought "Eagle" and later sent this picture to the interpreter at Lake Erie Metropark. He confirmed that they were two Bald Eagles...the one flying is a mature and the one in the tree is an immature eagle. We did attempt to walk closer but the birds flew off. It was a surprise to see these eagles in the middle of farm country.
This Red-tailed Hawk played a "hard to get" game, flying from one pole to the next when I tried to get close with my camera. We were laughing at his shenanigans but he was one pole ahead of us the whole time and this was the closest that I got with my 250mm lens.

No comments:

Post a Comment