Saturday, January 8, 2011

Heidelberg Project













In 1990, my daughter and I went to see the Heidelberg Project. It was summer and we spent about an hour walking the neighborhood. I was fascinated with the art work everywhere: on the sidewalks, in the street and even in the trees in the boulevard. However, after much controversy, the city of Detroit bulldozed the whole project in the late 90's.

Of course, Tyree Guyton was not to be stopped and began again. Tyree uses once new and useful objects that have been discarded and re purposes them into his art form.(this includes houses) His artwork, in many forms, is displayed in galleries around the world. Even if you disagree if this is "art", you will have to admit that it is interesting and entertaining.

It was a bitter cold the day that we were there so all my photos are taken from the car. I had Mike driving around and around again because there was so much to see....all the details, such fun but also sadness. There is a lot of irony in it all.

Click on my links to the right for more on the artist.





No comments:

Post a Comment