Monday, January 3, 2011

Detroit...it's an interesting city!

When my son Mike was in town, he took me downtown...he drove, I took pictures. I got some great photos! The above pic is on Woodward going towards the river but these kind of pics are not what we went for. We put ourselves in harms way to get some great shots of the inner city. In fact, my other son Tim, was working downtown and said he would meet us as he was nearby. We were at a McDonald's and pulled into a car wash parking lot to wait. When Tim got there he advised us to get out of there as the car wash was a place that, as they guys dried your car, they sold you drugs. Also there had been numerous shootings there. What did we know?

We started our day near 8 mile near the State Fair grounds where someone has collected the most bizarre carnival memorabilia. We drove on to Highland Park for some great shots of an old auto plant and also the old Highland Park Municipal Buildings. We found quite by accident, the Heidelberg Project featuring the outdoor art work of Tyree Guyton. Next we headed to the Cass Corridor which was probably the most depressing area of all. It was a cold and bleak day and seeing homeless men huddled around a fire in a barrel was heartbreaking. Many others were hanging around a homeless shelter. What can be done? Some of us have so much...too much.... and they have nothing.
We ended the day at the old train station which always is a fascinating place to me...where have all the people gone?
So, for the next week I will be posting my photos of the D.
I would welcome your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment