Wednesday, September 2, 2015

St. Joseph's Catholic Church

While on my birthday photo shoot last Wednesday with Tim, we found this beautiful church off of Gratiot directly across from Eastern Market. The grounds were well kept and lovely and the church was open (I seem to be attracted to open churches lately which should tell me something). We went inside and people were starting to arrive for a 12:10 Mass. I did sneak a few photos before we left.
When I got home I Googled St. Joseph's Catholic Church and was very impressed that they hold a Latin Tridentine Mass. They also use a Gregorian Missal and the male Choir is famous for their Gregorian Chants.
The church itself was built in 1873 and has lovely stained glass windows which they are in the process of  restoring. Anyway, I fell in love with the church and even though I am not a church goer I decided to go to Mass on Sunday. It was lovely and the music was awesome......made the hair on my neck stand on end. It was all as I remembered it as a child.... all the rituals that the church was known for.... the altar did not face forward. there was no handshaking, there was incense, all the candles were lite on the alter and the Mass lasted 1 1/2 hours, although the sermon was short and sweet. One of the Bishops was there to celebrate the Mass as well.



If you are interested in experiencing a Latin Mass, go to their website for more info.
http://www.motherofdivinemercy.org/
For history of the church got check out:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Joseph_Roman_Catholic_Church,_Detroit



No comments:

Post a Comment