Tuesday, August 7, 2012

August



I love the month of August. Granted the garden is getting a bit worn and dusty, especially with the heat that we have had this summer. Everything is droopy and sad. But I love the smell of the heat and sun. The light in August has a particular slant that creates shadows that say...well, August. I hear the cry of the Blue jay and that means fall is just around the corner and there is just that feeling in the air. Also, this is the only time to hear the crickets and the cicada.  Since autumn is my very favorite season, August seems to be saying "Very soon there will be the brilliant light of October and the cool bite in the air"
After this very hot and dry summer, we are ready for a change.



My favorite, Cornflower. Has anyone seen the movie "Room With a View"? There was a scene where these beautiful blue flowers were used to decorate an entire room. Cornflower blue!. These common flowers are also called Bachelor Buttons but I think the official name is Chicory
Joe Pyeweed
Common Ragweed (sneeze)

I have been out in the garden the last few days, digging out plants that are diseased or just not thriving. Still making efforts to downsize and just make thing easier on me. Got rid of 4 peonies that had a fungus or mold of some kind. Have been treating them for the last few years, trying to save them. Two of them were over 20 years old. :-(
Anyway, I am looking forward to having my grand kids stay for a few days at the end of the week.







1 comment:

  1. October is my very favorite month. Love fall and am greatly looking forward to it. Seeing the leaves start to turn and the familiar scent of autumn approaching has my heart eagerly anticipating the seasonal change. And you and me gotta get us some vampire donuts that Rita told us about at the Huron Turkey Farm! lol

    ReplyDelete