Wednesday, April 8, 2015

On the Shore

I have been so busy that I haven't had the time to edit or post. Everyday I dump my card on a flash drive and maybe take a quick look. Having so much fun here. The weather has taken a turn to HOT. Today was hot and humid but I am not complaining.
Walked along the beach this morning and then joined the Shore Bird Walk led by Sharon and Phil. They have been around for years and are experts on water fowl. They volunteer their time every Wednesday at the state park.
Prothonotary Warbler
I saw this little bird fly in from the ocean. He seemed happy to find land and sat on this sand berm for quite awhile. I was able to get pretty close. Several folks that I talked to said it was unusual for this Warbler to be by the open water.
Had a nice walk along the causeway with Phil and Sharon. This is a Great Egret on the fresh water side. Look closely, you can see the fish he is ready to eat.
A Double-crested Cormorant drying his wings on the salt water side.
Osprey...fishing

The South Carolina state floater...ha!  He was looking at me.
Black snake
American Anhinga
Sharon told us how the Anhinga will dive under the water to spear a fish with his long pointed beak. He then flips the fish up and catches it into his mouth. Watched one do just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment