Sunday, May 27, 2018

Lovey Dovey

There are only 2 baby doves...thank goodness as there is no room for another. I can't believe how big they are already. That's because they have such a good mom. I did some reading up on Doves. Mom eats seeds and grit and digests it turning into "milk" She then regurgitates this "milk" into the throats of the babes. This involves a lot of bobbing and weaving and is quite the production. Also, a Dove couple may have 5-6 broods a year......not on my porch they won't . It is a mess up there. After they leave the nest, I will clean all that up and put a pot or vase there. Anyway, they have been fun to watch for now.

Meanwhile in my backyard, I watched a male Cardinal take a bath in my birdbath...a first for me. Many hungry Goldfinches show up everyday to the "sock". Also, the best news, my little Hummingbird has arrived!  Saw a House Wren couple looking over my wren box, rejecting it and flying off. They were all atwitter. I hurried up and put out 2 more wren boxes but haven't seen them back again. Good thing I don't live in the country.......I'd be out there all day ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment