Sunday, January 20, 2013

Lake Erie Metropark "Ice Daze"

It is Ice Daze this weekend at Lake Erie Metropark. Unfortunately, there is no ice or snow. In fact, it was in the high 40's yesterday which probably accounted for the large crowd that attended the all day event.
I went toward the end of the day and caught the astronomy presentation and then, to follow, we had the Owl Prowl. There must have been almost 50 people (lots of kids) on the walk. We took Trapper's Run, led by Kevin, who played taped owl calls. We were hoping to attract the Screech owl and we did! I was pretty excited about that. Below is a stock picture of a Screech Owl that I got off the Internet. When the real owl answered back, Kevin was able to locate it and shine a flashlight on it. I got a good look and then saw it fly away.

Stock photo

Inke, Bernie, Mary Lou, Lisa, Evan and Veronica were there from Crack O Dawn. When we got off the trail they had the bonfire going and the kids were roasting marshmallows. It was a great evening and I was home by 8. It always is a surreal experience being in the woods at night.
Last nights the winds were so fierce that it woke me up. Still windy today but somewhat decreased and the temperature has dropped into the 20's. Predicted bitter cold this week.....high in the teens. Wish we would get more snow so I could get out with my camera...whoops, forgot My camera is still in the repair shop. :-(




No comments:

Post a Comment