Sunday, January 3, 2021

Growing Amaryllis

 


I only have one south facing window and as you can see, everyone is lobbying for space. My cute little Lemon Cypress needs lot of light, normally it is in my dining room walk out bay window. It is surrounded by four Amaryllis bulbs.....coming out of dormancy.


My granddaughter gave me this bright red Amaryllis several Christmas ago. It sat in my basement for 3 months (no water). I brought it upstairs, watered it and within a week it is shooting up a stalk...yea. The other one shows no sign of growth and last year it did have leaves but never bloomed. If it doesn't bloom this year I will toss it.                                                                                                                        I put them on my front porch in the summer and then put them in the basement in late September. 

On the left is a huge Amaryllis bulb that my daughter bought me and it is ahead of the rest. We are not sure but we think it is red and white. The bulb on the right, I just bought, on sale, and found that it was not very healthy and had began to sprout in the box.  I'm hoping that it will straighten up as it reaches for the sun. (ha, what sun?)                                                                                                                      Will post photos when they bloom. They are worth the wait.



No comments:

Post a Comment