Friday, May 29, 2015

My Yard in May

 Beverly Sills













I've talked before about doing more downsizing in my garden because I need to cut out the back breaking work that I can no longer cope with. The front bed Irises  (I have 4 varieties) have few blooms this year as they have borers and are just old and need divided and transplanted. My one remaining peony in the front has some kind of fungus and has just a few buds right now. I'm going to have my son help my remove most of that bed just leaving a circular bed around the light pole. There are 3 healthy saliva that I will transplant to the back as well as several hostas. I want to start over. There is a beautiful Hydrangea next to the light pole as well as the clematis so those will stay. In the fall I will plant some "Apricot Beauty" tulip bulbs.(my favorite) The rest will go to grass or ground cover.
In the back yard, I planted a new climbing rose next to the house and put in herbs and some annuals. I have some big issues with my grass, front and back, and will treat for grubs in July. Then, I may plant some ground cover on the edges...that periwinkle takes off and I have plenty to transplant. I should start some roots in pots. Jeez, this is the most garden planning that I have done for a few years.
I am jealous of some of my face book friends that attract so many birds but with my sparrow problem I'm not going to try that. I may pick up some meal worm and see what that brings in. I do know the best thing back there is my bird bath. I feed the finches and sat out there this morning for about an hour trying to get some decent pictures...they are skittish. No hummers yet. I am keeping the feeder clean and fresh so I hope someone will show up.
I think the sparrows have moved their nests from the house to the back of the garage. I am afraid to look. They are like a rat infestation.


No comments:

Post a Comment